Guava is a tropical shrub which belongs to myrtle family. Its scientific name is psidium. They are native to Mexico, Central America and northern South America. Guavas are cultivated in tropics and sub- tropics region.
Different varieties of guava:
The important varieties of guava found in India are as follows
- Lucknow Safeda popularly known as sardar
- Allahabad Safeda
- Red fleshed(Pink Guava)
- Arka Mridula
Nutrients in guava:
Guavas are rich in dietary fibre and vitamin C, with moderate levels of folic acid. Having a generally broad, low-calorie profile of essential nutrients contains about four times the amount of vitamin C as an orange. Guavas are full of vitamin A, B3, B6 and C, dietary fibres and folic acid. It is rich in minerals like potassium, manganese and copper. It is low in calorie. It contains about four times the amount of vitamin C as in an orange.
Health benefits of guava:
- Pink guava facilitates blood circulation.
- Guava is rich in antioxidants which fight cancer and is heart protecting.
- Vitamin C present in guava improves your body immune system.
- The richness of vitamin C, vitamin A and antioxidants makes guava skin anti- ageing.
- Guava regulates blood pressure levels.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes.
- Guava treats constipation because it is rich in fibre content.
- Guava fruit is very helpful in diarrhoea.
- It helps in weight loss.
- Guava contains copper which helps in the production and absorption of the hormones.
- Although guava is not a rich source of vitamin A as carrot, it provides a better source of the nutrient.
- It also provides folic acid and vitamin B9 which is very helpful for pregnant mothers.
- It reduces stress and helps to relax nerves and muscles.
- Guava keeps our brain healthy. It improves blood circulation to the brain.
Benefits of guava for skin:
The fruit, Guava plays an important role in the skin care as it is rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and carotene. These all are beneficial for our skin.
- Pink guava removes impurities from the skin and provides freshness. It beautifies our skin.
- Pink guavas contain lycopene which is an antioxidant that protects the skin against the UV rays and air pollution.
- Guava is rich in water and therefore does proper skin hydration.
- The richness of vitamins, minerals and nutrients in guava helps in making our skin free from blemishes, acne, pimples, and wrinkles.
- This fruit is very helpful in treating blackheads and skin itchiness.
Hair benefits of guava:
- Guava helps in hair growth and its maintenance.
- It also helps in hair loss.
Guava eating ways:
There are many possible ways to eat guava. You can take small bites of guava. Guava can be sliced and eaten. Guava smoothie and jelly is also made .Its juice is also a way to consume guava. The loving dish prepared from guava is its halwa. These are the simple ways to eat guava.