Mango is popularly known as ‘the king of fruits’ in India. Mango is a seasonal fruit i.e. summer fruit. Mango is one of the main reason people love and awaits for summer. It is nutritionally rich and has unique flavour and taste. It is really very beneficial for health. Being a tasty and healthy fruit i personally refer mango to the best summer companion.
It belongs to the flowering plant family Anacardiaceae. Its genus name is Mangifera. It is native to South Asia, from where it is distributed worldwide. It is now the most cultivated fruit in tropics. The common mango or Indian mango Mangifera Indica is the only tree cultivated in many tropical and sub- tropical regions, originated in India and Burma.
Mangoes are grown all over India making it the leading producer of mangoes.
Mangoes varieties found:
- Gulab khas
- Saroli/ Bombay green
- Gulglui and many more.
Commercial mango drinks:
Frooti is an Indian mango drink and the Coca-Cola’ product. Maaza is also known to be the mango drink referred to as ‘har mausam aam’ or ‘laalch for aam maaza hai naam’.
Nutrients in mango:
- Mangoes are good source of vitamin C and vitamin A.
- Vitamin C helps in fighting colds and illness.
- Vitamin A strengthens bone growth.
- It is rich in dietary fibres. It helps in reducing body fat and controlling blood sugar also help low LDL cholesterol levels.
- Mango is also rich in potassium which helps in controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Polyphenols which is found in mango has anti-cancer effect. The anti-oxidants present in it which prevent breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer.
- It also helps prevent leukaemia.
- It helps to keep immune system healthy and strong.
- It also promotes good eyesight.
- Acids found in mangoes helps to maintain alkalinity of the body and enzymes found in it help in digestion.
- Mango juice cools down the body and prevents sun stroke.
- Mangoes are rich in vitamin B-6 which inhibits nerve transmission, thus causing calming effect.
- These are rich in minerals like copper, manganese and zinc which are essential for the production of red blood cells in the body.
- Mango leaves have anti- bacterial activity.
- Being a good source of vitamin C, it keeps your skin healthy and glowing. It is often used in various face masks and scrub.
- It has the ability to remove dark spots, blemishes and acne.
- Mangoes can also be used to remove blackheads.
- It has anti-ageing benefits and also protects your skin against the harmful radicals which can cause skin cancer.
- Mango skin is a great de-tanning agent.
- And its regular consumption provides you a fair and smooth skin.
Diseases mango may cause:
- The sap and peel of mangoes are highly toxic, although specifically poisonous.
- It can cause dermatitis like poison ivy.
- The peel can cause swelling or rash when in contact with the mouth or lips.
Ways to eat mango: