Papaya: Healthy and Delicious Fruit
Papaya known as pawpaw, papaw is the fruit of plant. It is of species genus Carica. The plant is native to American tropics and Mexico. Papaya is the fruit which is available year round.
Papaya is not just a fruit but is full of medical properties.
World Production of Papaya:
Top three papaya producing countries are India, Brazil and Indonesia. As a result of increased production of papaya in India, it is the leading producer of this fruit.
Varieties of papaya:
There are only two types of papaya namely,
Red papaya or yellow papaya
Nutrients present in papaya:
It is full of protein, β- keratin, thymine, riboflavin and many more vitamins are found. Vitamin- A, B, C and D are also found in some quantities. It is rich in dietary fibre. Papaya is the only natural source of the digestive element, named papain. In this fruit calcium and carotenes are also found in good quantities. Other than these, phosphorus, potassium, iron, anti- oxidants, carbohydrate and protein are also found in it. It is low in calories and sugar as compared to mango. It is more rich in minerals than mango. And, has more water content than mango.
Papaya Benefits for Health:
- It lowers inflammation and alleviates pain and oedema caused due to injuries.
- Its antioxidant content prevents cholesterol oxidation and can used to prevent atherosclerosis, strokes, heart attacks and diabetic heart disease.
- Its leaf juice along with milk and sugar candy provides a better sound sleep.
- It strengthens immune system and prevent from cold and flu.
- Antioxidants help to look younger and controls premature ageing.
- The presence of calcium in papaya makes our bones strong.
- The presence of Vitamin A in papaya provides good eyesight.
- Vitamin C in the fruit helps to keep arthritis at bay.
- Papaya helps to lose weight easily as it is full of fibre and also clears bowel movement.
- Fibre content along with enzyme called papain improves digestive system.
- Its low sugar content proves to be a beneficial for diabetics and also for non- diabetic as a way to prevent from this disease.
- Papaya also helps to reduce stress. Vitamin C helps to regulate the flow of stress hormone.
- Papaya is known to prevent cancer. The presence of antioxidants, phyto-nutrients and prevent our cells from undergoing free radical damage.
- It is very useful in cold and cough.
- It is beneficial for child’s development. It provides all the nutrients and also keeps away from diseases.
- It can be easily absorbed in the body therefore quickly effective.
- It is very effective in stopping breast cancer cell growth.
- Papaya seeds can remove intestinal parasites.
- Papaya leaves cure dengue fever.
Skin benefits of papaya:
- Fermented papaya flesh can be used as face pack to get rid of acne and skin infections, providing fresh and glowing skin.
- The milk of papaya tree is also useful in treatment of acne
- Papaya can cure skin infections and wounds that do not heal quickly.
Hair benefits of papaya:
- Papaya shampoo controls dandruff and good for hair.
How to eat papaya:
- Ripe papaya can be sliced and chunks can be made.
- Its juice is very rich and healthy therefore beneficial to drink.
- It can be cooked as vegetable in its raw state.