Potato belongs to the species Solanum tuberosum. Potato is the edible part of the swollen portion of tubular stem which provide food to the leafy portion of the plant. Potatoes are covered with brown colour skin. There small eyes on the surface from which new buds emerge. The flesh of potato may be of white colour or its skin colour. This is an easy to grow plant.
Types of potato:
The potatoes which are small in size are called fingerling or new potato and larger ones are called earlies or main crop.
It contains vitamin C, which is more than one medium tomato and B6, and minerals like iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium. It contains potassium more than banana. It contains carbohydrate i.e. starch and dietary fibre. Its skin is rich in iron and fibre.
Benefits of potato:-
Health benefits of potato:
- Potato helps to lower high blood pressure.
- It helps to inhibit cancer cell growth.
- It helps to lose weight.
- Potato contains vitamin B and C which works as immunity booster.
- Potatoes are good for digestive system.
- It helps to fight heart diseases.
- Potatoes contains good amount of fibre which helps in good bowel movement.
- It keeps away stress.
Skin benefits of potato:
- It removes dark circles, wrinkles, dark spot and sun burn.
- Potato juice treats facial blemishes.
- Potato face mask whitens your skin and makes it smooth. It is also good for dry skin.
- Potatoes remove dead skin cells.
- It is a facial cleanser which makes your skin refreshed.
- It treats rashes and skin itching.
- Potato juice and cucumber paste removes eye puffiness.
- Potato mask makes hairs healthy.
- Potato peels treats grey hairs.
- Potato and honey mask treats hair loss.
Ways of eating potatoes:
Potatoes recipe are prepared in many ways like skin- on or peeled, whole or cut up, with seasoning or without. Potatoes are required to boil to swell starch granules. Dishes which can be prepared from potato are potato salad, potato chips, mashed potato with milk or yoghurt and butter, French fries, Rosti or pancakes, whole baked potatoes, and many others.
Most popular dishes in India are aloo ki sabzi, batata vada, samosa, aloo chaat, aloo tikki and pakoda.
Potato is the most important part of food all over India especially in northern states. In northern India, aloo dum and aloo paratha are most popular. Vada pav is the favourite east food in Mumbai and other regions in Maharashtra. In south India, masala dosa with sambhar and chutney is the popular one. Here poori is always taken with smashed potato masala. And aloo posto is popular dish from east India.